When I started my MBA, and working outside the home full-time, and motherhood all back-to-back I envisioned plenty of time for extracurricular activities. Prior to these major life changes I worked out twice a day most days, made homemade granola weekly, and read for fun. I guess in my head I lived in a world with more than 24 hours in a day.
Unfortunately, I don’t live on whatever planet I thought I did so it is one workout a day, store bought granola, and a growing list of unread fun books piling up by the bed. One thing I hate to give in on though is a healthy meal for my family. That would be why this soup is a great addition to our recipe box (even Nick can throw it together in a pinch).
-1 large yellow onion, diced
-2 carrots, diced
-3 stalks of celery, diced
– 1 Tbsp olive oil
-14.5 oz can dice tomatoes
-14.5oz can tomato sauce
-3 cups chicken broth
-2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
– 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning (mixture of oregano, basil, thyme)
– ¼ cup fresh basil, minced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/3 cup frozen corn
-1 cup frozen peas
-salt and pepper to taste
-extra water as desired
- Dice your onion, carrots and celery. Mince your garlic (or use jarred like I do)
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large stock pot
- Add your diced vegetables and sauté until onions are translucent
- Add the broth through the frozen peas to the pot and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add water and salt and pepper to desired consistency and taste
Of course on the other planet I imagined only having spring and summer, but I live in Minnesota where winter trumps all.
So even after seven years of frozen tundra when I should be buying this . . .
I am instead buying this . . .
So I guess I will curl up inside with my pretty bright shoes on and eat my soup to stay warm 🙂